Tuesday, August 25, 2009

road trips

The cool, longer nights and shorter yet beautiful days are telling me that summer is nearing an end. Boo. But I look back at my first summer and see all the fun places I've been, especially in the Midwest (California was fun too!). A tune keeps coming to my head that I just can't shake.....sung by Johnny Cash. I love it. Mom and dad always sing and dance when we hear this song on Pandora. I figured I'd add my own spice. So, come on, get the tune rolling in your head and sing with me! Here we go!

Sung to the tune of "I've been everywhere."
You can find the song here: Thanks Grandma!!
http://kathpeterson.blogspot.com/2009/08/for-abigail.html

I was totin' my pack along the long dusty Winnemucca road,
When along came a semi with a high an' canvas-covered load.
"If you're goin' to Winnemucca, Mack, with me you can ride."
And so I climbed into the cab and then I settled down inside.
He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand.
And I said, "Listen, I've traveled every road in this here land!"

[Chorus:]
I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

I've been to:
Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, California
Chicago, Philo, Ames and Peoria
Keswick, Carlock, Woodstock, Norwalk
Bartonville, Pickneyville, Yorkville, Coralville
Farmer City, Gibson City, Quad Cities, Circuit City
Marengo, Tolono, Oswego, Glasgow (in utero)

[Chorus:]
I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.........

Wasn't that fun!!

Here's a collection of photos from some road trips around the prairielands.

1 comment:

Emma Anderson said...

Love the photo collage!